Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Meaning of Mercy

In Ps 103:8-10 we've been discussing the anger of God as a prerequisite to his mercy.
Yes, there is a danger in over-emphasising anything. But since there is not enough observable fear of God in our culture (maybe even our church) and since the anger of God is a fearsome thing, I doubt we have erred on that side.

So what happens if we neglect the anger of God?
I think those of us who are recipients of his mercy and who fail to keep his anger in view rob themselves of the magnificence of his mercy. We miss out on a wellspring of spiritual vitality which strengthens our humility, edifies our fellow believers, and shines like stars (big ones!) in the world.

We look at the Rocky Mountains and marvel at their immensity and their beauty. But they are a by-product of the cataclysm of God's-Flood-that-Noah-survived in which they were created by the violence of judgement.

We simply must look at the beauty of our sonship Gal 4, the access we have to the Creator Heb 4, the fellowship we have with the Son Phil 3, and our possession (of all things!) of the Spirit within us (Rom 8:9-17) and remember that the anger of God has produced this beautifully restored relationship.

But we're about to turn to verses 11-13 and see that he is done with the anger toward us.

Perhaps I sound confusing. Maybe you're thinking, if God has moved on, shouldn't we?
Just think - we have to remember his anger - but he does not! Wow!

1 comment:

Dawn P said...

This is in response to some of the discussion yesterday about anger vs honor in Sunday, Jan. 25th’s Sunday School class. As believers we tread a very dangerous ground when we try to separate the character & attributes of God and bring them down to a bite sized manageable thing for us to understand. He is wholly who He says He is. He starts Ps. 103 with a reminder of His holiness. There is no one else that can claim that apart from God. I think His holiness wraps a cloak around all of the other attributes of God. Can we fully grasp the meaning of His holiness apart from fearing Him? Can we even get a small taste of His redeeming us without accepting His role & right as Judge? Can we even appreciate His graciousness, compassion & loving kindness without realizing those only come because of His choice to be slow to anger & patient with us? Love is an attribute of His, yet His love does not come with out great sacrifice, that sacrifice does not come without great demand on the part of a holy God, one whom we should fear. To separate his love & judgment cheapens His love. Churches that separate the attributes of God and focus mainly on those that are manageable or “nice”, do not preach the whole truth of who He is. Whether it be only preaching His love or His anger. If we as believers do not start with the fear of God & recognize that, combined with all His other attributes, we are being deceived.
That is one way Satan deceives us. He does not want us to see God for wholly who He is. Is this to say that we should be so afraid of Him that we don’t run to Him? For me personally, as a woman, I think of it in this manner. As a wife, I am in a covenant relationship with my husband. He is the head of this relationship. He has certain things that he expects of me, yet he gives me much freedom & free will. When I willfully do things that are contrary to what he desires, I have a healthy fear. Now, mind you, my husband is one of the kindest most loving men you would meet. He wants the total best for me and our relationship. He would lay down his life for me. He provides over & above what I need. He is quick to forgive. He is very slow to anger, yet I know that when I do something that might bring shame to his name, I am afraid. Is it a run from him & hide in the closet for fear he might find me fear? By no means! It is a fear of respect, because of his position in our family. I know that even in my shame & fear, I can go to him, seek forgiveness and he will open his arms pull me close, wrap his loving arms around me and forgive me. That is just a small taste of the relationship that we as believers have with Christ.